Why Blessed Assurance?
The danger of false hopes of assurance
- Man lives with false hopes and fleshly presumptions of being saved regardless of lifestyle and beliefs.
- Man thinks if there is a God He will be gracious after death regardless of the way they have lived
- Man presumes on the grace and love of God that he deserves to go to heaven
- Man presumes that his good deeds and kindness to others will be enough for him to go to heaven
- This false hope will die along with people who live with this false hope.
The comfort of blessed assurance
I will ask you during these talks this question: Today are you 100% certain that if you died today you will go to heaven?
This question calls you to understand two things:
- The eternal security of every believer based on God’s grace through faith in Christ
- The personal knowledge of assurance of salvation
- All believers in Jesus Christ are eternally secure in their salvation. Salvation is not based on what we do it is based on the finished work & continuing ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ
- However, though all believers are secure, not all believers have assurance of their salvation. Not all believers have the same level of assurance of their salvation.
- Believers grow in assurance of salvation as they grow in Christ.
- Assurance of salvation is not the believer’s standing with God that is eternally secure. But it is the believer’s knowledge of his standing with God
1 John – the letter of assurance
Over the next weeks we will look at how a believer can grow in their assurance of salvation.
1 John will focus our attention on what we can know & believe in order to gain greater assurance of salvation
Our Lord said, John 6 – if you continue in my word then are you truly my disciple. And you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.The truth of salvation: eternal security in Christ, leads to the freedom, comfort, encouragement and joy of knowing & living in assurance of our salvation in Christ