"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever."
The Week of Prayer for Tennessee Missions is a concentrated time of prayer for Tennessee Baptists which coincides with the Golden Offering for Tennessee Missions. The Golden Offering is collected all year with a special emphasis during this week. The theme for this year is “Same Jesus. Sharing Hope & Truth.” As we join together in prayer for all that God is doing in Tennessee, take time to sit alone before the Lord. Pray for the spiritually lost, the many needs across our state, and the numerous Tennessee Baptist Mission Board ministries that share the hope and truth of the gospel as we seek to reach Tennessee for Christ.
Prayer Guides located around the building-pick one up and meet some of our Tennessee Missionaries.
Day 1: Evangelism and Discipleship
Millions in Tennessee remain spiritually lost and face significant needs. Pray for opportunities and boldness to share the hope and truth of the gospel.
Ask the Lord to show you one person he has placed in your life with whom you can share Jesus.
Day 2: Church Revitalization
Don’t Just Sit there, Do Something
Connie Pickel sat on a pew waiting for her church to die.
“We had about 15 people and about $2,000 in the bank,” she said. “This place was dead, and we really didn’t think we’d make it much longer.”
But Mike Parker answered the call to become the pastor, arriving just before the COVID-19 pandemic. No matter. Parker believed God had given him a plan to see the church revitalized.
“I had a real sense God wanted to do something here,” Parker said. “Some thought we were completely limited in what we could do because of COVID, but we weren’t limited in serving our East Knoxville community. Many families were struggling to make ends meet and needed food. We opened a food pantry and began to serve, meet our neighbors, pray with them and share the gospel.”
Parker also challenged the church to get off the pew and get involved. Pickel answered the challenge.
“It has been amazing for both me and the church,” she said. “We’ve seen people getting baptized every week for several weeks, seeing lives changed and seeing our church revived. We are up to over 80 people and it makes us realize God isn’t done with us yet.”
Tennessee Baptists giving through the Golden Offering for Tennessee Missions help support church revitalization strategies through the Tennessee Baptist Mission Board.
Day 3: New Churches
The Lord’s hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord. News of this reached the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. Acts 11:21-23
- Pray for new church plants and church planters as well as the mother churches who are working together with the purpose to share the hope of Jesus in areas of Tennessee that are underserved and under reached with the Gospel.
- Ask God to do a new thing among the 142 different ethnic groups that call Tennessee home. Many are seeking security, peace and a better future for themselves and their families. Pray for new ethnic churches to be planted among them to share the same Jesus and same truth that transcends culture and language.
- Pray for new church plants to build strong connections in order to work together in purpose to see that Tennessee is OUR mission field.
- Pray for a pipeline of at least 100 mother churches to be trained and ready to plant a new church for the Glory of God. A Conversation with William Burton
Day 4: Disaster Relief
And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’Matthew 25:40,
- Pray the Holy Spirit will prepare the hearts of those served by Disaster Relief volunteers as they are offered help with physical needs after the disaster, hope that is found in a personal relationship with Christ as Savior, and healing from the event and most importantly the healing from sin that a personal relationship with Christ offers.
- Pray that God will continue to do new things as we seek to involve more working adults and younger adults in bringing help, hope and healing to those affected by a disaster.
- Praise God for the provision He has made to allow Tennessee Baptists to meet the needs of those we serve through Disaster Relief. Pray that we will always be good stewards of all He has provided. Help in Hurting Times
Day 5: Baptist Collegiate Ministries
Seek the welfare of the city to which I have sent you. Pray to the Lord on its behalf, for when it has prosperity, you will prosper. Jeremiah 29:7
- Pray for Collegiate Ministers as they work to restart ministries that may have struggled because of Covid19 during the previous three semesters. We anticipate a season or rising hope. (Eph. 1:18)
- Pray for spiritual direction as Tennessee Baptist Collegiate Ministries strive to be essential citizens of university communities, influencing and transforming for the Gospel.
To learn more about BCM Ministry and how GOTM spread the gospel on college campuses all over Tennessee, check out this interview with Mark Whitt!
Day 6: Tennessee WMU Ministries
Tennessee WMU encourages and equips churches and individuals to engage in missions learning and involvement that enables them to fulfill the Great Commission.
The Golden Offering supports Tennessee WMU ministries like Christian Women’s/Men’s Job Corp, Missionary Care, WMU student scholarships, children’s missions discipleship events, equipping missions leaders, and more.
But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved. Hebrews 10:39
- Pray that missions discipleship leaders will be relentless in their pursuit of Christ and faithful in encouraging and equipping preschoolers, children, students, and adults to engage in missions learning and involvement that enables them to fulfill the Great Commission.
- Pray that WMU scholarship recipients will be a light on their university campuses and that they will boldly share the gospel with others.
- Pray for Christian Women’s/Men’s Job Corps instructors and volunteers as they minister to participants in jails, prisons, and classrooms. Pray that the words of their mouths will be pleasing to the Lord as they share the hope and truth of the gospel. A Conversation with Janice Carter
Day 7: Associational Ministries
Finding Opportunity to Serve
The United States has always been seen as a country with great opportunities. Sunny Ikojoh looked across the globe from Nigeria and also saw an opportunity to serve.
Sunny ministers at the Baptist Center in Knoxville, a ministry of the Knox Country Association of Baptist. The center is in an inner-city housing complex of about 1,200 people in South Knoxville and provides physical and spiritual support to the community. Sonny relates to the international families trying to find their way in a new country.
“My passion is to be a Christ presence to the families,” he said. “I want to be someone they can trust, but also to be someone whose life mirrors what it means to be a Christian.”
The need is great, said Tom Hodges, director of the Montgomery Village Baptist Center.
“There are four married couples in our community. Overwhelmingly our families have no male role model in the home and to have Sunny here as a male role model is to show people that you can serve Christ and be what God wants you to be, and still be an active, vital part of the community.
“Tennessee Baptists giving through the Golden Offering for Tennessee Missions have a part in making Sunny’s ministry possible. His presence enables people to hear the hope and truth offered to them through an unchanging Jesus.”
For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39
- Pray for the new Associational Mission Strategists/Directors of Missions who have started their ministry in the last 12 months.
- Pray for the associations who are currently searching for their next AMS/DOM.
- Pray for a harvest of souls through the churches in your association.
Day 8: Compassion Ministries
Defend the poor and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy; Free them from the hand of the wicked. Psalm 82:3-4
- Pray for churches ministering to children and teachers through school partnerships.
- Pray for churches that are sharing the gospel and ministering to emotional needs through divorce care, grief share and other special ministries.
Standing For Life
Kelly Wall has seen potential heartbreak walk through the door all too often. As the director of the Gibson Country Birth Choice crisis pregnancy center, she and her staff are on the front lines of saving unborn lives.
And they just got some major support.
Tennessee Baptists giving through the Golden Offering for Tennessee Missions were able to “stand for life” by providing Birth Choice a new ultrasound machine.
“There is a significantly greater chance that mothers will keep their babies and avoid abortion when they can see their baby and hear its heartbeat,” Wall said. “By providing the resources to get our ultrasound machine, Tennessee Baptists are a part of the ministry that helps mothers choose life, and they can be sure that the gospel is being spread to everyone who comes in and out of our doors.”
The ultrasound in Gibson County is the first of many to be provided through GOTM giving according to Tennessee Baptist Mission Board President Randy C. Davis.
“Our goal is to see an ultrasound machine placed in every crisis pregnancy center across our state supported by local Tennessee Baptist churches,” he said. “We want people to pray for moms and dads dealing with the decision to keep their baby. We want them to share with them hope and truth.” Compassion Ministries with Beth Moore